2. Catherine Opie, SELF-PORTRAIT/NURSING, 2004
in a paragraph between 150 – 250 words answer this promp:
You write a clear, concise, and persuasive analysis, in your own words, for the 1 artist and their work that you select from the list above. The analysis should convince your reader of the validity of your objective interpretation. I’m looking for a paragraph or two that interweaves the following information:
- Appropriate course terminology.
- Your thoughts backed up by evidence. I don’t want to see a string of quotes (which is plagiarism) – think critically.
- Visually analyzes the artwork: What FEA & PoD are used most prominently in the artwork? Why does the artist make those choices? What medium does the artist choose?
- Contextually analyzes the artwork: How does the artwork relate to the time in which it was created? When? Where? What was happening politically, socially, economically, etc., that the artists were responding to?
- Thematically analyzes the artwork: What are the major themes are present in the artwork? And how are they applied?
- Clearly state your objective interpretation of the artwork. This should be the result of thinking critically about the object’s original context, key ideas & characteristics of the movement, FEA, PoD & the major themes of art.
Finally, you will ask a challenge question for your peers to answer. Questions and responses to them should:
- Derive from course material
- Center on thinking about the art object in myriad ways.
- Not be too obscure, obvious or off topic
- Challenge each other to think critically about the art object & it’s context.
- Focus on developing ideas – think about other themes that may apply to deepen the discussion.