The Marshmallow Challenge is a remarkably fun and instructive design exercise that encourages teams to experience simple but profound lessons in collaboration, innovation and creativity. This activity is worth 60 points.
The task is simple: in eighteen minutes, build the tallest, free-standing structure out of spaghetti, tape, string, and one marshmallow. The marshmallow needs to be on top. You should be able find all of the ingredients at a dollar store or grocery store for under $2.
You may work solo or in teams for this assignment. Invite your partner or children to participate in the hands on activity.
- Build a structure using only the materials listed.
- The entire marshmallow must be on top of the structure.
- Cutting or eating the Marshmallow is not allowed.
- Time yourself for 18 minutes.
- Measure the height of your structure.
- Take a picture of your structure (you may use your digital phones).
Submit a brief summary of your experience. One page is sufficient. Include a picture of your structure as evidence of the project!