Prior to beginning work on this interactive assignment, please view the required video read Chapters 15, 20, and the Classes (or Names) of Medications That Can Cause Mental Disorders appendix in DSM-5 Made Easy: The Clinician’s Guide to Diagnosis; read Chapter 1 of DSM-5: Handbook of Differential Diagnosis; and read Section 4: Privacy and Confidentiality Links to an external site.from the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct: Including 2010 Amendments.
Mental health professionals hold grand rounds events to maintain their current knowledge of health care practices and to consult with colleagues on particularly difficult cases. During these professional events, mental health professionals sometimes present a case and seek feedback from peers regarding conceptualization and treatment of a patient’s problems. This interactive assignment is an opportunity to simulate a grand rounds event.
For your initial post in this forum, you will provide written feedback regarding your colleague’s presentation and questions. Your post must include the following:
- Provide an evaluation of the degree to which the presenter followed the ethical standards outlined in Section 4 Links to an external site.of the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct: Including 2010 Amendments. (https://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index)
- Highlight the relevant information from the patient’s history you will use to inform your conceptualization of the patient’s problems and diagnosis.
- Provide an evaluation of the patient’s symptoms and presenting problems within the context of a theoretical orientation that seems to be most appropriate for the situation. Be sure to indicate which theory you are using for your evaluation and provide a justification for your choice. (e.g., cognitive, behavioral, humanistic, biological, sociocultural, evolutionary, psychoanalytic, integrative, etc.). NOTE: Be clear that you are writing about theoretical orientations and using the theoretical orientations to explain the client’s symptoms and presenting problems. Do not use the theoretical orientations to discuss any therapy or treatment approaches. Your application of the theoretical orientations should answer the question: How did this client develop the symptoms and current presenting problems? For example, “Based on the cognitive perspective, how did this client develop the symptoms and current presenting problem?” “Based on the humanisitic perspective, how did this client develop the symptoms and current presenting problem?” Etc.
- Provide a diagnosis for the patient based on the DSM-5. Be specific about the DSM-5 criteria required for the diagnosis and how the client meets those criteria.
- Describe at least one evidence-based and one non-evidence-based treatment option for this diagnosis.
- Pose appropriate questions that you would ask the client to help determine the most accurate diagnosis for this patient.