In this assignment, you will be writing a 1,000-1,250 word paper describing the differing approaches of nursing leaders and managers to issues in practice. To complete this assignment, do the following:
- Select an issue from the following list: bullying, unit closures and restructuring, floating, nurse turnover, nurse staffing ratios, use of contract employees (i.e., registry and travel nurses), or magnet designation.
- Describe the selected issue. Discuss how it impacts quality of care and patient safety in the setting in which it occurs.
- Discuss how professional standards of practice should be demonstrated in this situation to help rectify the issue or maintain professional conduct.
- Explain the differing roles of nursing leaders and nursing managers in this instance and discuss the different approaches they take to address the selected issue and promote patient safety and quality care. Support your rationale by using the theories, principles, skills, and roles of the leader versus manager described in your readings.
- Discuss what additional aspects managers and leaders would need to initiate in order to ensure professionalism throughout diverse health care settings while addressing the selected issue.
- Describe a leadership style that would best address the chosen issue. Explain why this style could be successful in this setting.
Use at least three peer-reviewed journal articles other than those presented in your text or provided in the course.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, Good references with proper APA formatting (capitalization)- see the Purdue Owl for a review of APA rules and examples of correctly formatted references. in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses RN to BSN
1.1: Exemplify professionalism in diverse health care settings.
1.3: Exercise professional nursing leadership and management roles in the promotion of patient safety and quality care.
3.4: Demonstrate professional standards of practice.
Expert Solution Preview
Introduction: The issue selected for this assignment is nurse staffing ratios. This paper will describe the impact of nurse staffing ratios on the quality of care and patient safety in the clinical setting. The paper will also discuss the professional standards of practice that should be demonstrated in this situation to maintain professional conduct. The differing roles of nursing leaders and nursing managers in addressing the selected issue and promoting patient safety and quality care will be explained. Additionally, this paper will discuss the leadership style that would be best to address the issue of nurse staffing ratios.
Nurse staffing ratios have a significant impact on the quality of care and patient safety in the clinical setting. The shortage of nurses and the increase in patient acuity have led to inadequate nurse staffing ratios, which ultimately have negative effects on patient outcomes. Patients in understaffed units have a higher risk of complications, mortality, medication errors, and falls. Low staffing levels also increase the workload and stress for nurses, leading to burnout and leaving the profession.
Professional standards of practice should be demonstrated consistently to ensure high-quality care and patient safety in the clinical setting. Nurses should adhere to ethical and legal standards related to patient care, communicate effectively with other team members, maintain clinical competencies, and participate in professional development activities.
Nursing leaders and nursing managers have different roles in addressing the issue of nurse staffing ratios. Nursing leaders focus on the overall vision, mission, and goals of the organization. They create strategies for recruitment, retention, and training of nurses, and establish policies that promote patient safety and quality care. On the other hand, nursing managers are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the unit. They make decisions about nurse staffing, budgeting, and resource allocation, ensuring that patient needs are met.
To ensure professionalism throughout diverse healthcare settings while addressing the issue of nurse staffing ratios, nursing leaders and nursing managers must initiate several aspects. First, they must ensure that nurse staffing ratios comply with state regulations and professional standards. Second, they need to establish a culture of respect, collaboration, and accountability among nursing staff. Third, they must promote continuing education and career growth opportunities for nurses to enhance their clinical practice and leadership skills.
The leadership style that would best address the issue of nurse staffing ratios is transformational leadership. This style emphasizes the importance of inspiring and motivating nurses to achieve their full potential through shared values, vision, and goals. Transformational leaders empower their team, encourage creativity and innovation, foster a positive work environment, and celebrate successes. This leadership style could be successful in addressing the issue of nurse staffing ratios by encouraging nurses to work collaboratively, identifying ways to improve patient care, and advocating for adequate staffing levels.