Unit V Scholarly Activity
Review the unit lesson, and write a reflection paper by responding to the following prompts:
- Compare leadership and followership in a paragraph or two.
- Create a table with two columns comparing leadership and followership with at least five characteristics for each.
- Explain the formal and informal roles of leadership and followership. Discuss behaviors of each.
- Discuss a situation when your behavior depicted that of either a charismatic, transformational, transactional, or laissez-faire leader.
- Discuss a situation when your behavior depicted that of one of the five follower types: alienated follower, passive follower, conformist follower, pragmatic follower, or effective follower.
Your submission should be at least two pages. Headings and subheadings are encouraged. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations. Include at least one outside resource. Be sure to use APA Style for citations and references.
Expert Solution Preview
In the medical field, leadership and followership are two essential concepts that healthcare professionals needs to understand. Leadership and followership are intertwined, and a good leader must also be a good follower. In this reflective paper, I will compare leadership and followership, create a table highlighting their characteristics, describe the formal and informal roles of leadership and followership, and recount situations that demonstrate charismatic, transformational, transactional, or laissez-faire leadership and alienated, passive, conformist, pragmatic, or effective followership.
1. Compare leadership and followership in a paragraph or two.
Leadership and followership are two essential concepts that go hand in hand. They are complex social constructs that describe the behaviors of individuals and groups of people. Leadership is the capacity to inspire and motivate people to achieve a common goal. It involves creating a vision, inspiring others to follow, empowering people to act and achieve the vision, and providing guidance and support to achieve the vision. Followership is the willingness to cooperate and support the efforts of a leader. It involves being a productive team player, being supportive, and following the vision and direction of the leader.
2. Create a table with two columns comparing leadership and followership with at least five characteristics for each.
| Creates a vision | Cooperative and supportive |
| Inspires and motivates people to achieve the vision | Productive team player |
| Empowers people to act and achieve the vision | Follows the direction of the leader |
| Provides guidance and support to achieve the vision | Committed and loyal |
| Builds a team and fosters collaboration | Knowledgeable and insightful |
3. Explain the formal and informal roles of leadership and followership. Discuss behaviors of each.
The formal roles of leadership and followership are the designated positions assigned to individuals within a hierarchical organization. Generally, formal leaders hold official titles and are responsible for organizing, coordinating, and directing the work of their subordinates. Formal followers typically hold designated roles that require them to work under the direction and guidance of their leaders.
On the other hand, informal leadership and followership refer to the unwritten and unofficial roles that individuals take on themselves outside the formal organizational structure. Informal leadership involves behaviors that inspire others to follow their direction or advice. Informal followership involves behaviors that earn the respect and trust of other team members, which allows for collaborations that go beyond the formal roles in the organization.
4. Discuss a situation when your behavior depicted that of either a charismatic, transformational, transactional, or laissez-faire leader.
I can recall an instance when I took on the role of a transformational leader. I was in charge of a group project where we had to design a patient care plan for a community health clinic. I set a clear vision and inspired the team to work on the project to the best of their abilities. I encouraged innovative thinking and empowered team members to assume various roles based on their strengths. I also provided feedback and support to each team member, creating an inclusive environment. My approach drove the team to great success as we were able to achieve our goals.
5. Discuss a situation when your behavior depicted that of one of the five follower types: alienated follower, passive follower, conformist follower, pragmatic follower or effective follower.
I once found myself in a situation where I acted as an effective follower. In an important project where I was part of a larger team, I noticed that the approach proposed by our team leader was not working effectively. I approached the leader and voiced my concern. I suggested that we should try a different approach that would yield better results. My input was well-received, and the leader implemented my suggestions. My actions showed that I was not a passive follower but rather proactive and committed to the project’s success.
Leadership and followership are critical components of any successful healthcare organization. Better understanding the roles, characteristics, and behaviors of leaders and followers can help healthcare professionals effectively manage their teams and achieve their objectives. Effective leadership and followership require a balance between formal and informal roles and behaviors that inspire and motivate team members to work together towards a common goal.