Vital Signs: HR 76, RR 14 BP 130/98, Temp 100.0 oral, O2 sat-92%
Maggie is a 27 year old. Filipina single woman, accompanied by an aunt and uncle with whom she lives.
” I have schizophrenia and I need my medications ordered.”
History of Chief Complaint:
The psychiatrist who has been treating the patient does not take her insurance any longer, so she needs a new provider. She has been taking olanzapine 15 milligrams daily.
Past Psychiatric History:
Maggy started hearing voices as a freshman in college. Initially, the voices were just chattering, but then started saying they were going to hurt her. She said. I thought people were stalking me. She was treated by a psychiatrist. With that helped. She thought that she
was fine and stopped taking the lawns of pain. She relaxed and was hospitalized and was prescribed risperidone before being discharged, but she could not sleep. She was prescribed a variety of antipsychotic medication ( ziprasidone, aripiprazole, quetiapine). They did not control the paranoid thinking and the voices were loud and threatening. Eventually, She was prescribed olanzapine again, which she described as the most effective.
This is an unfolding case study which we will be utilizing for this discussion
- Based on your readings and in regards to Maggy’s history what additional questions do you have? Provide rationale for each question.(Have at least 3)
- As a nurse working in a clinic what important aspects of schizophrenia do you need to consider? What if the physician will not prescribe the desired medication? (Elaborate on at least 3 concepts)
- Explain the etiology of schizophrenia to the nursing student. Include any cultural considerations. (Elaborate on at least 3 concepts)
- Explore and explain the concept of Psychopharmacology and Schizophrenia
- Discuss with Maggy current modes of treatment and the role of the family related to Schizophrenia (Elaborate on at least 3 concepts)
- Add a Module 12 PHARMACOLOGICAL question: Can be for MDD or Bipolar disorder. After you have analyzed the content from the discussion board, please add a question to the end of your initial post regarding the reading material for the week.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Expert Solution Preview
1) Based on Maggy’s history, additional questions to ask may include:
– What are her current symptoms and how severe are they?
– Has she experienced any side effects from previous antipsychotic medications?
– Has she had any previous hospitalizations or instances of self-harm?
These questions are important to gather a comprehensive understanding of her current state and potential risks.
2) As a nurse working in a clinic, important aspects of schizophrenia to consider include:
– The importance of medication adherence and potential consequences of not taking prescribed medication.
– The potential for drug interactions and side effects of antipsychotic medication.
– The potential for comorbidities such as substance abuse, depression, or anxiety.
If the physician will not prescribe the desired medication, it is important to communicate concerns and collaborate with the healthcare team to explore alternative treatment options.
3) Schizophrenia is a complex disorder with multiple etiological factors. These may include:
– Biological factors such as genetics and brain chemistry.
– Environmental factors such as stress, trauma, and substance abuse.
– Cultural considerations such as experiences of discrimination or stigma related to mental health. It is important to understand the unique cultural experiences and beliefs of each individual in order to provide culturally sensitive care.
4) Psychopharmacology is the study of how medications affect the brain and behavior. In the treatment of schizophrenia, antipsychotic medications can be used to reduce symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations. However, these medications also carry the potential for side effects and may not be effective for all individuals.
5) In discussing current modes of treatment for schizophrenia, it is important to consider the role of the family. Some concepts to explore may include:
– The importance of family support in medication adherence and symptom management.
– The potential for family therapy to improve communication and reduce stress within the family unit.
– The potential for family psychoeducation to improve understanding and coping strategies related to schizophrenia.
6) Module 12 pharmacological question: For patients with bipolar disorder, what are the potential risks and benefits of long-term use of mood stabilizers such as lithium or valproate?