(SOLVED) . What type of periodic FHR pattern would the nurse be alert for when evaluating the tracing? Explain the rationale for your answer
a. What type of periodic FHR pattern would the nurse be alert for when evaluating the tracing? Explain the rationale for your answer. b. State the actions the nurse should take in order of PRIORITY if the pattern is noted.
Expert solution paper
a) Fetal heart rate is monitored using a non invasive investigation called CTG (Carditocography) by placing a USG probe of CTG apparatus on mothers abdomen.A graphy is generated from the recordings and is analysed for any variation.
Normally in the graph produced fetal heart rate has mean value of 110 to 160 bpm and often showes acceleration and deceleration.
Acceleration and deceleration is sharp increase and decrease in fetal heart rate and is normally seen when they are within normal limits usually <5bpm
If the heart rate of fetus is showing variable deceleration over time then it might be the matter of concern as it indicates fetal distress. So a nurse should look for variable deceleration of fetal heart rate and should remain alert about this.
b) If variable deceleration of heart rate is find on CTG graph nurse should take following actions :
1) Change maternal position and administer oxygen by face mask.
2) Stop the infusion of utrotonic agents like oxytocin.
3) Amnionfusuion should be done under antibiotic cover.
4) If deceleration continues and female is at term prepare her for immediate C section.
5) If pre term labour is present give Magnesium sulphate and Corticosteroids to help fetal lung maturation and after doses are complete prepare for C section.